Hardware tokens with Bitwarden Regular account
For enrolling and using FIDO2 Security Keys to secure your Bitwarden account, refer to this guide
Bitwarden is a password management service that stores sensitive information such as website credentials in an encrypted vault. The Bitwarden platform offers a variety of client applications including a web interface, desktop applications, browser extensions, mobile apps, and a CLI.
As Token2 programmable tokens are drop-in replacements of mobile TOTP apps, you can use them with Bitwarden by following the instructions below.
- A Bitwarden account (free or premium)
- A Token2 programmable token (the guide below shows miniOTP-2 as an example)
- An Android device with NFC - this is needed for the enrollment only, subsequent logins will only require the hardware token
Login to your Bitwarden profile and navigate to "Two-step login".
Click on the "Manage" button next to the "Authenticator App" section. The system may ask you to enter your master password again.
Upon entering the master password, a window with a TOTP QR code will be displayed.Follow the steps below to transfer the seed from the QR code to your hardware token:
- Launch the NFC burner app on your Android device and hit the "QR" button
- Point the camera to the QR code shown on the account page. Upon a successful QR scan, the camera window should disappear
- Turn on the token and touch it with your phone (make sure it is overlapped by the NFC antenna) and click "Connect" on the app
- Upon successful connection, click the "Burn seed" button. If NFC link is established and the code is correctly scanned, you should see a status window showing "Burning..." and eventually (in a second or two), "burn seed successful.." message in the log window
- Launch the NFC burner app on your iPhone device and hit the "scan QR" button
- Point the camera to the QR code shown on the account page. Upon a successful QR scan, the camera window should disappear and the seed field will be populated with the hex value of the seed
- Touch the Burn button, then turn on the token and touch the top of your iPhone with the token
- Check the results of the process in the Results log field
Push the button on the miniOTP-2 device, and enter the code shown on the display to OTP field on Bitwarden enrollment windows (3.Enter the resulting 6 digit verification code from the app) and click "Enable".
The following message will be displayed if successfully enrolled.
Subscribe to our mailing list
Want to keep up-to-date with the latest Token2 news, projects and events? Join our mailing list!